Monday, February 1, 2010

Bilal provides a dystopic future, much in the standard sci-fi style, with one interesting twist: the Ancient Egyptian gods are still kicking around. Unfortunately, though, aside from their outward appearance and their status as immortals, there is nothing in the characterization to particularly recall these deities. In this case, I admit, I can't figure out what the fuss is about. I am an occasional reader of graphic novels -- very close in basic structure to many medieval illuminated manuscripts -- but this one left me utterly cold. The art is often praised, but I found it somewhat awkward and staged. The writing is disjointed, and the plotting more so. If you are looking for an interesting graphic novel, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment